Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pear and Toasted Pecan Buttermilk Cake


I was recently commissioned to make 2 cakes for upcoming events. (How lovely to be asked to do so!) I went right to my Cake Mix Doctor book and set out to find some good sounding cakes. This one seemed to have an elegance of flavor with an ease of serving.

Although I used the Cake Mix Doctor Book for the recipe, I also found the recipe on-line at http://www.mail-archive.com/recipesandmore@googlegroups.com/info.html, so I'll post it here.

Pear and Toasted Pecan Buttermilk Cake

2 15-oz. cans pear halves, packed in light syrup, drained, syrup reserved
1 18.25-oz. pkg. plain yellow cake mix
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c. finely chopped toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan.

Puree pear halves and place over medium heat in small saucepan. Cook,
stirring occasionally, until the pear puree has reduced by half 15-20
minutes. You should have about 1 cup puree. Remove from heat and let
puree cool.

In large bowl with mixer at low speed, combine cake mix, buttermilk,
eggs, vanilla and cooled pear puree for one minute. Increase speed to
medium and beat two minutes more. Fold in pecans. Pour batter into
pan.

Bake 30-35 minutes (mine took like 40+ min) until light brown and springs back when lightly touched. Remove pan to wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Invert onto
platter. Poke holes (ha! the original recipe said "wholes") in the top of the cake with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Spoon one cup of the reserved pear syrup on top and allow
it to seep into the holes and down the sides and drizzle into the center. Allow cake to cool completely 30 minutes more. Slice and serve.

I really enjoyed toasting the pecans and cooking down the puree. They made my kitchen smell great! Can't give you a review because the cake is not mine to eat, so I hope it turns out well for my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment