Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sweet Potato Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting

We drove 8 hours to Ohio this weekend. When we were getting close to our destination, I thought "Oh, let's bake a cake." It's a sickness, I know. I had brought along my trusty Cake Mix Doctor book (as well as my America's Test Kitchen Baking Book) for some fun reading. Hey, in comparison to my other idea of "fun" reading (grammar books), this is significantly less lame.

Sweet Potatoes? Coconut? Pecans? This cake is TOTALLY good for you. We had to run to the store to get a few ingredients. By the way, Giant Eagle is officially on notice. They had NOTHING that we specifically needed, but we made do.

It's a spice cake mix with some pureed sweet potatoes (in their syrup) added. The frosting is your basic cream cheese with coconut and pecans. Mix that bad boy up, slap on some frosting and ka-blam!


I feel like I need to throw up (aren't you glad I didn't stop here?) a review each time; however, I don't have anything better than "It was quite tasty." Eh, it works.

I made a carrot cake previously and struggled with the cream cheese frosting, so this time I did not let the cream cheese or butter get to room temp. I had to work it a bit more to make the frosting spreadable. I think it was even too soft at one point, and I put it in the fridge to firm up. I liked the consistency I ended up with. This time around it was much easier to frost the cake and to keep the frosting on the cake.

Most comments I've read suggest waiting until the cream cheese and butter are room temp. A few said the cream cheese should be cold and the butter room temp. I'm leaning more towards the second sentiment.

Dilemma 1 (runny frosting) solved. Dilemma 2 (my impatience) is still a work in progress. Once the cake is made and the frosting is made, I'm ready to eat it. But making sure the cake is completely cooled make a big difference when frosting it. As Tom Petty said, "Waiting is the hardest part."

No comments:

Post a Comment