Monday, July 12, 2010

Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies

The company I work for has workshops at our office several times throughout the year. It's a great chance for me to interact with the clients on an extended basis. I've baked a few things for them in the past and while they were here in June, I was asked what I was going to make them this time. I had just the recipe.

I'd been meaning to try out these cookies for a while and just couldn't find the right venue, so this worked out well. Although they all enjoyed the cookies, no one was able to guess the surprise ingredient. Since you are about to read it in the recipe, I'll just go ahead and spill the beans...ketchup.

It's not that much ketchup really. I think it just adds a little sweetness and a little color to the cookie. I found the recipe on the Heinz website; their official name is Tic Tac Toe Cookies, but I like mine better.



Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies

Ingredients

1.5c flour

1/2t baking soda

1/2t salt

3/4c PB (I usually use chunky)

1/2c butter or margarine, softened

1/2c sugar

1/2c packed brown sugar

1/4c ketchup (Heinz will tell you it has to be their brand)

1 egg

Directions

  1. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  2. Cream together peanut butter, butter or margarine, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add ketchup and egg; beat until well mixed.
  3. Thoroughly blend flour mixture into peanut butter mixture.
  4. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. With fork dipped in flour, press cookie flat, making impressions in two directions.
  5. Bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
  6. Feed them to people you know and see if they can figure out the secret ingredient.
People were surprised, that's for sure. But they went over well.

And apparently my dad really liked them as he ate all of the ones I brought home to share with my family...

No comments:

Post a Comment