Friday, August 20, 2010

Car-Baked Cookies

I recently saw a t-shirt that said, "Baking is science for hungry people." I totally agree. It's important that the measurements are correct and the procedures are followed. When you add certain ingredients together they create something different. Change an element around the combined ingredients (i.e., the temperature) and you get something new entirely.

So when I saw this recipe on Baking Bites, one of my go-to baking blogs, I couldn't pass up the chance to experiment.

Let me tell you something, NC is hot...and not just because I live here, so waiting for a day that was hot enough was not a problem.

The recipe is not important; it would work just as well with a slice and bake roll from the grocery. However, I opted to use the recipe on the blog, which I've linked to directly above.

So I sliced up these cookies and laid them on some cookie sheets and dropped them off in my car to bake. It's necessary to lay down towels on your dashboard and make sure that no part of the pan is touching your car.


I put the oven thermometer in the car as well. The temp got up to around 125 degrees F. I hopped in the car a few times to check on the cookies and towards the end I decided to flip them over as they were a big gooey on the bottom. It took about 5 to 6 hours before I declared them done. Good thing I didn't have anywhere to go that day.

They turned out well and they were tasty. Because they were baked in the car, they did not brown. It was super fun to try out. I may do it again with a slice and bake OR with those pre-cut brownies. This would be a great experiment for a science teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment