Sunday, October 3, 2010

Meta-Dessert #2: Blueberry Muffin Pop Tart Muffins

Blueberry muffins are a classic breakfast item...so are Pop Tarts. So the geniuses at Kelloggs created a Blueberry Muffin Pop Tart. This is the description from the website: Mash two super-tasty breakfasts together, and this is what you get: sweet, sprinkly icing on a golden muffin crust packed with blueberry bits filling.

And because I am a SUPER genius, I thought, "Let's take this one step further and put the Blueberry Muffin Pop Tarts...IN A MUFFIN!" Oh my gosh, did your head just explode?

Although I had great success with the ATK Blueberry Muffins previously, I wanted to try out a something new, so the base of my muffins is courtesy of Alton Brown.

Check out this awesome picture. You can see the gooey chunks of Pop Tart. Yes!


Blueberry Muffin Pop Tart Muffins

Ingredients
  • 12 1/2oz. cake flour
  • 1t baking soda
  • 2t baking powder
  • heavy pinch salt
  • 1c sugar
  • 1/2c vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1c yogurt (I used low-fat vanilla)
  • 8 Blueberry Muffin Pop Tarts
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 380 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
  3. Remove crust from Pop Tarts and chop into 12 pieces each.
  4. In another large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, egg and yogurt.
  5. Add the dry ingredients reserving 1T of the dry ingredients and toss with the Pop Tarts. Stir mixture for a count of 10.
  6. Add most of the Pop Tarts (save like 12 pieces) to mixture and stir 3 more times.
  7. Using a 1/4c measuring cup, add the mixture to greased muffin pans. Place one piece of Pop Tart on top of each muffin and press down lightly.
  8. Place into the oven and increase the temperature to 400 degrees. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
  9. Remove from oven and turn out, upside down on tea towel to cool completely. (The Pop Tarts on top might stick though, so pick them up every once in a while).
The original recipe called for baking them for 20 to 25 minutes. And I think I tried to do the total 25 they wound up too brown in my opinion, so I say bake less at first and then see how it goes. You definitely need to let them cool though because the Pop Tart goo will probably blazin' hot when it comes out of the oven. Plus it gives the Tart a chance to solidify.

They were hella tasty, albeit on the dry side. I think next time I'll try the Pop Tarts with the ATK muffin recipe that I've used before.

No comments:

Post a Comment