Monday, October 4, 2010

Meta-Dessert #3: Gooey Pecan Pie Brownies

Saving the best and most decadent for last! Yes, Gooey Pecan Pie Brownies. And don't be thinking that I just threw a few pecans and some caramel into a pan of brownies. This is an entire frozen Pecan Pie chopped up and baked into two Betty Crocker Supreme Brownie mixes. Now that's what I call a meta-dessert.

Go big or go home, suckas!

This recipe is from the Cake Mix Doctor (I'm telling you this chick knows what's what). When Kyle and I read the ingredients, we started laughing from the sheer ridiculousness. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Warning: Be sure to gird your loins before taking a look at these babies.


Ok, I'll give you a moment to compose yourself. Nope, you still have a bit of drool riiiiiiight there. Yup, you got it. Moving on...

Gooey Pecan Pie Brownies

Ingredients
  • 2 boxes brownie mix (Like I said, I used Betty Crocker Supreme with the Hershey's syrup in it.)
  • 2 sticks of butter, melted
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 frozen Pecan Pie
Yes, those are the ingredients.

Directions
  1. Again take a moment.
  2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 9x13 pan.
  3. Mix brownie mix, melted butter and eggs in a BIIIIIIG bowl until incorporated (about 40 strokes). Heehee...yes, I'm like a 12-year old. And if you know why I was giggling, you are, too. Don't judge.
  4. Keep pie in freezer until ready to use (it's not really frozen frozen). Remove from pan and chop into 3/4 inch pieces (I think mine were a little smaller than that).
  5. Fold pie chunks into brownie mix and spread into prepared pan. Smooth down with spatula.
  6. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until the edges are set and the middle is only a little soft to the touch.
  7. Let cool completely for at least 1 hour.
  8. Cut them into bars and pray to Jesus that your heart doesn't stop from the awesomeness upon consumption. (Although what a way to go.)

So good. Soooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Chopping up the pie wasn't difficult, but folding it into the already ridiculously thick batter was a chore. Of course, it took way longer for them to bake than 55 minutes, but that seems to be a theme throughout my baking. Yet when I tried to out maneuver that trickery with the muffins, it backfired. Blast! (The visual: me shaking my fist in a "Curses, foiled again" manner).

And even after the extended baking time, they were quite gooey. (I suppose that's part of the reason for the "gooey" in the name, aside from the pie itself). But I needed to get them out of the oven so they could cool, and I could take them to my men-folk.

By merely reading this post you've already added inches to your thighs. But it is worth every nanometer. Suffice to say I received a number of marriage proposals over the weekend.

I will be making these again. Oh yes, I will be making these again.

9 comments:

  1. Holy crap Becky... These look like they're going to be my new favorite thing!!! I hope I'm around for round 2 of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I tried your recipe for these brownies and WOW did they rock our world and everyone else at the dinner party! Thanks so much for the post! We love your blog, keep up the good work, we can't wait for your next post! You are our real-life "Julia & Julia" blogger! Thanks! - The Rowe's

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long in total did you end up baking if 55 minutes wasn't enough? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was an extra 25 to 30 minutes before I was happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the recipe was a flop w/ the temp and
    baking time.... raw except around
    the edges of the pan. but too late to
    rebake when you've cut the brownies
    to bring to a party ! will not use this
    recipe again if author can't get timing
    and temps right in her books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear it didn't turn out. Most of her recipes are spot on, but yea for this one I automatically add at least 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks -- just read another version
    that used this recipe but spread
    batter into 2 9 x 13 pans instead
    of the 1 pan. Using regular baking
    time on the brownie mix box, plus
    add'l 10 to 15 mins. because of the
    pie in recipe. Toothpick chk for
    doneness (though normally that doesn't
    work for brownie recipes). I will try
    using 2 pans this time. Last chance
    for this Cake Mix Doctor book !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I will definitely make to pans of brownies the next time I make these again. Thanks!

      Delete