Saturday, November 20, 2010

Guinness, Baileys and Jameson Cake Balls: Attempt 1

On Wednesday nights, we go to a local pizza joint for team trivia. It's fun times, tasty food and an opportunity for me to try out my baking on some new people. This week I was commissioned to make a dessert that contained alcohol. "Done and done." I thought. I hadn't made cake balls in a while, so I knew I wanted to work something out with those AND my past experience with baking an this kind of cake was a good one. I just needed to figure out a way to get it done quickly and easily. Success!

Let's break these suckers down...


Guinness, Baileys and Jameson Cake Balls: Attempt 1

Ingredients


Cake

  • 1 box choc. cake mix (and required eggs and oil)
  • 1 bottle Guinness (to be used instead of water)
Frosting

  • 1 can (8oz) white frosting
  • 4T Bailey's
  • 1/4c p. sugar
Whiskey Syrup
  • 2T Jameson Whiskey
  • 1/4c water
  • 1/4c sugar
  • vanilla baking bark
Directions

  1. Bake cake as directed, but use beer when it calls for water.
  2. Cool cake completely and crumble into a large bowl.
  3. Mix Bailey's and frosting until incorporated and then mix in powdered sugar until smooth.
  4. Add frosting to cake crumbs and mix and mash until combined.
  5. Scoop into tablespoon-sized balls and chill in freezer for 30min.
  6. Meanwhile, heat water and sugar on stove over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely.
  7. Take sugar mixture off of the stove, add in the whiskey and let it cool.
  8. Remove cake balls from freezer and drunk (typo and it stays) ...or DUNK them into the whiskey syrup.
  9. Put the cake balls back in the freezer for a good long while.
  10. Melt the baking bark (more instructions later due to shoddy results) and coat the cake balls.
  11. Booze it up!
These little cake balls were more than troublesome. The whiskey syrup coating caused the baking bark to seize up after two or three cake balls were dipped. I wasted a lot of time and baking bark trying to figure out how to coat these miscreants. I finally figured out that I had to just melt a bunch of bark, and distribute it among several bowls so I wouldn't ruin the whole batch.

They were a pain pain pain pain pain. But they were worth it.
They were super moist on the inside and crunchy on the outside, and you could really taste each flavor of booze. Lots and lots of moans on this one. 

I still have a few in my fridge if anyone is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment