Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bacon Pumpkin Pie

What makes everything better? All together now... BACON! Pumpkin pie....meh. BACON Pumpkin Pie? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing! And easy to make, too. Just whip out your favorite pumpkin pie recipe and throw in some crispy, crumbled bacon.

Having never made a pumpkin pie before, I lacked a favorite recipe, so I was totally cool with following the recipe I got from
Bacon Unwrapped. As suggested, I used the pie recipe on the back of a can of Libby's pumpkin puree, not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling.

(You can see bits of bacon here, here, here and here.)

Bacon Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients
  • 3/4c sugar
  • 1t cinnamon
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1/2t ground ginger
  • 1/4t ground cloves
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin (if you don't use Libby's, I won't tell.)
  • 1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
  • 1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
  • Whipped cream (Libby's says "optional." I heartily disagree.)
  • 10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions
  1. Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl.
  2. Beat eggs in large bowl.
  3. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture.
  4. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
  5. Mix in crumbled bacon.
  6. Pour into pie shell.
  7. Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
  8. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
  9. Top with whipped cream before serving. Again, NOT OPTIONAL!
I'm only now getting more into pumpkin, and I mainly put bacon in things because other people seem to love it so much but MAN-I-SCHEWITZ this was a faboosh combo. As I ate the sweet pumpkin, with the salty bacon and the completely necessary whipped cream I could hear the Police song "Synchronicity I" playing in my head...

No comments:

Post a Comment