Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Easy Breakfast Pastries...Three Ways

Daddy always says, "An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure." (Quick digression: whenever I'm watching a feelings-heavy movie on TV, Kyle asks me, "Is this Steel Magnolias or regular magnolias?")

Any-Julie-Roberts-dies-in-the-middle, these pastries are another in the list of goodies that I made for the workshops at the beginning of the month. I'm hesitant to even say I made them because I basically just bought ingredients and layered them. There are three (hence the name) fillings: white choc. cream cheese mix, raspberry jam drizzled with white chocolate and lemon curd dusted with powdered sugar.



Breakfast Pastries

Ingredients

Cream Cheese Filling (This recipe is for a full batch, but I only made half)
  • 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 3-oz white chocolate, melted
  • 3T sugar
  • 1t vanilla extract
Other Stuff
  • already made puff pastry cups
  • more white chocolate, for drizzling
  • powdered sugar, for dusting
  • lemon curd
  • raspberry jam
Directions
  1. Cream together ingredients for cream cheese mix. And find a big, strong man to help you open up those jars of curd and jam.
  2. Bust out the pastry cups and fill with 1/2 tablespoon of desired filling (lemon, raspberry, or cream cheese).
  3. Bake according to directions on back off puff pastry box.
  4. Let cool completely.
  5. Dust lemon curd with p. sugar and drizzle white chocolate over raspberry.
The addition of the white chocolate to the cream cheese gave it a rich and smooth texture. Make sure to let the lemon curd cool completely or else the p. sugar will just melt right in. Oh and be careful when drizzling the white chocolate. I wanted it to be thin and random over the raspberry jam, so I did a bit of flinging. My kitchen walls and I were covered in flecks of white chocolate by the end.

The cream cheese pastries were the first to go, followed by the raspberry. If you just want to use only one filling, go with the cream cheese. You could even top it with a jam if you feel so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment