Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Irish Christmas Cookies - November Dessert

Another boozy treat, but this time it's not for me. These cookies were requested by my free dessert each month winner.

This request coincided nicely with my buying the Jameson for the Irish Cake Bombs, so I had that on hand. And it's that time of the year when people start making fruit cake. Lucky for me or else I would never have found candied citron at a regular grocery store. (A Southern Season carries it year round, but I swear that's where the Minotaur lives, so I try to avoid it).

I would give props to K-roger for hooking me up, but then they didn't have any golden raisins. LAME!


So after a few trips here and there, I was ready to bake (well,
I'm always ready to bake, but I may not always have exactly what I need).


Irish Christmas Cookies
Ingredients
  • 1c butter, softened
  • 1c sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2c flour
  • 1/4c Irish whiskey
  • 1/4c candied citron, chopped
  • 1/4c golden raisins, blanched ("Buh?" you say? I'll explain) and chopped
  • 1/4c almonds, chopped
Directions
  1. Soak the raisins in the whiskey for an hour or two (aka blanching).
  2. Preheat oven to 375 F and bust out that glorious, glorious invention you know and love: parchment paper and slap it on a cookie sheet.
  3. Cream together the butter and the sugar.
  4. Beat in the eggs until well blended.
  5. Add the flour and mix until smooth.
  6. Add the whiskey along with the fruit and nuts, and mix well.
  7. Drop cookie dough (tablespoon-sized) onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  8. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. (Surprisingly, I wasn't lied to this time around. 8 minutes was perfect. Thanks oven thermometer!)
  9. Remove the cookies from the baking sheets with a spatula (thanks for clearing that up; I was going to use my face) while still warm. Place on wire rack to partially cool.
  10. Store the cookies in an airtight container with a slice of white bread to maintain their soft, fruity texture.
I wasn't in the office when Wanda picked up the cookies, so both she and my co-worker (and buuuuuuuuuddy) Jillian, were confused when they saw a random piece of bread in this bag of cookies.

I wasn't impressed; just not my thang, but Wanda enjoyed them, and I quote, "
OHMYGOSH!! They are DELICIOUS!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment