I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love cake like a fat kid loves cake. I love cake. Cake with AWESOME frosting to be exact (or is the truth that I just plain love frosting?). Anycake...
Adding cake mix to already awesome stuff to make it more awesome seems to be a baking trend as of late, so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon. I got this recipe from How Sweet It Is, a baking blog that is just filled with ridiculously awesome recipes. These are easy to make and definitely a great twist on a classic treat.
Cake Batter Rice Krispies Treats
- 3T butter
- 10.5 oz mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup yellow cake mix
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 1.75-ounce container of sprinkles (divided)
- Melt butter in big pot on stove.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted
- Add in dry cake mix a few T at a time.
- Mix in cereal and half of the sprinkles
- Smash that crazily-colored mix into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Throw the rest of the sprinkles on top and mash them in good.
- Let cool, cut and have a paaaaaaaaaaaaar-tay!
Let's discuss sprinkles. They should be chewy-crunchy, not crispy-crunchy. Avoid Betty Crocker's Parlor Sprinkles; whatever they are, sprinkles they are not. Lame. I really like the generic ones I get in Kroger.
These went over well in general, but my opinion was they were just OK. I think it was because I expected a stronger cake flavor. I think next time I'll stick with my regular ratio of butter (1T) and mallows (4c) and possibly add more cake mix. I also have plans for different cereal/cake mix combos in the near future.