Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cheesecake Bites

A buddy of mine requested that I make a treat for a fundraiser that she participated in a few weeks ago. I so enjoy being asked to help out for such things. 

It was a wine tasting, so I wanted to bake something that wasn't too intense in the flavor category and would pair well with the wine. Cheese and wine go well together; chocolate and wine do, too. So cheesecake bites seemed like a winner. I'm hesitant to call them Cheesecake Balls because I merely scooped them and did not roll them into balls, so one side is flat.

I snagged the recipe for a basic cheesecake from Kraft and then searched around the Internets for a few ideas on how to best scoop/finish the balls. The results were pretty much what I had expected to find.

I made the cheesecake the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I heard somewhere that it lets the "flavors mingle" or something like that. Also, I just didn't have the time the next day to let it cool completely.
 

Cheesecake Bites

Ingredients
  • 4 pkg.  (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened 
  • 1 cup sugar 
  • 1 tsp.  vanilla 
  • 4 eggs 
  • 1c graham cracker crumbs 
  • chocolate baking bark 
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cream together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Add in eggs one at a time and beat on low until fully incorporated.
  2. Pour cheesecake mixture into a 9x13 pan (greasing is unnecessary as you are just going to be scooping the balls directly from the pan). And bake until the center is almost set.
  3. Cool completely and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
  4. Using your ridiculously convenient 2t cookie scoop, scoop out cheesecake balls. (Like I said, I didn't shape them other than smashing them in the cookie scoop; they were just too sticky). You should yield around 90 bites. (I so didn't make them all).
  5. Roll the cheesecake in the graham cracker crumbs and let chill in fridge for and hour.
  6. Melt baking bark and coat each bite in chocolate.
I heard that they were well received. And I heard some people grabbed snagged a few left over cheesecake bites to take home with them.  These treats are low key and easily adaptable: they could easily be made gluten free if you don't roll them in graham crackers, and you can choose to add a number of things to the cheesecake (flavorings, fruit, candy, etc.)

4 comments:

  1. These look great-just found you through a google search for cheesecake bites. I am going to try these, and take a minute to look around too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear how they turn out for you. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What type of chocolate? Is semi sweet ok to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, why not. The type of chocolate is up to you based on your preference.

      Delete