Monday, March 11, 2013

Chocolate Guinness Cinnamon Rolls with Baileys & Jameson Cream Cheese Frosting

Beer and booze for breakfast (or anytime, really)? Yes, please! You know I try to avoid baking from scratch when possible, so I let my friend Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix give me a hand with this recipe. Just follow the directions on the box taking into account my modifications, top it off with a Baileys and whiskey frosting, and, well, I mean just look at it...




 Chocolate Guinness Cinnamon Rolls 
with Baileys and Jameson Cream Cheese Frosting


Before we get to the recipe, I'd like to acknowledge that this particular recipe has caused quite a stir, but not at all in the way I had hoped. I apologize for the original name of this recipe and making light of a serious and sad time in history. I am truly sorry to those I offended.

For the full recipe, visit Foodbeast.

4 comments:

  1. Ms McKay,

    I came across your recipe, which has been reprinted in the British Daily Mail (see link below), syndicated via the website Foodbeast.

    I would like to bring to your attention that for 99% of actual Irish people – as opposed to Americans who like to get dressed up and prattle on about their heritage – the phrase “Irish car bomb” is extremely offensive. If you are in any doubt as to the fact, I invite you to examine the hundreds of rightly disgusted comments at the link below:

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2293339/The-ULTIMATE-St-Patricks-Day-recipe-How-make-Irish-Car-Bomb-cinnamon-rolls.html

    No doubt, this was not your intention. However, even a casual piece of research will show you that even in the US, where the phrase originated, many bars will simply not serve the drink. Asking for it in this part of the world is liable to get you a punch in the face. Irish consulates across the world, meanwhile, have rightly requested that bars do not use the phrase.

    Are you so ignorant of world history to not even think for a moment what the phrase implies? It is a deliberate nod to the bombing campaigns conducted by the IRA in Britain in the 1970s and 1980s, in which countless lives were lost. Your amusing and supposedly innocent little recipe belittles and trivialise the deaths of hundreds of both Irish and British lives, and stirs up for many people, painful memories of a still-recent conflict that we could like to see the end of.

    In short, name-checking this phrase for a bit of St Patricks Day jollity at best demonstrates ignorance, and at worst, courts deliberate offence. How would you feel if someone walked into a bar and asked for a Twin Towers Iced Tea?

    It would be gracious of you to perhaps issue some kind of apology and acknowledge the feelings of the hundreds of people you have already offended.

    Sincerely,

    Cohen Hand
    (cohenhand@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cohen, Thank you for your comment. I appreciate the graciousness with which you brought this to my attention. I have plans to amend my post.

      Delete
    2. Really Cohen. Get over yourself.

      Delete
  2. People get offended FAR too easily these days, lighten up!

    ReplyDelete